VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AT MARION-STERLING SCHOOL BEGIN IN OCTOBER
• Volunteer to design and implement a bulletin board of statistical graphs to show school improvement as it happens during the year. Statistics indicate that academic scores increase by improving school attendance, the number of books read each week, and parent involvement.
• Tutors for reading or math for a couple of hours once or twice a week
• Volunteers as teacher’s aide one day (or part of a day) a week
• Tutors in the more structured first and second grade STEP Reading Program: (SupportingTutorsEngagingPupils) New volunteer training will be offered before working with a student. A lesson plan for each lesson is provided.
• Please take time to watch a four minute YouTube video of a MarionL Sterling STEP volunteer.
For more information:
Royce Johnston 216L406L6358 email@example.com
Vicki Titas 216L382L5374 firstname.lastname@example.org
• Based on the success of the inLclass library that CSP created in one fourth grade classroom at Marion Sterling, the school’s State Improvement Grant Committee ordered $70,000 of books from Scholastic Books for 17 classrooms. The books must be coded to conform with Accelerated Reader, an evidencedLbased program that increased reading comprehension and levels. Coding requires looking up the code on a computer and marking it in the book. Time consuming but not difficult. It would be a great help to the classroom teachers if volunteers from CSP can code the books so that they can be used as quickly as possible.
• IF YOU CAN HELP, PLEASE CALL BARBARA GRANTS AT 216R905R2607.
Here is your chance to be a ‘carnie’ for the day. You can run the Duck Pond, Corn Toss or other games; judge the Jello Eating or Long Jump contests; man the craft tables or put on tattoos. Or, just come and enjoy.
If you can spare the time, please contact Vicki at email@example.com.
- 8:30am-11am Carnival Set Up
- 11am-12:20pm Kindergarten – 4th Grade games and activities
- 12:30am-2pm 5th – 8th grade games and activities
- 2pm-3pm – Carnival Clean Up
A total of 23 volunteers are needed to make this day a great one for the children.
Help is also needed on Wednesday, May 30th form 2pm-4pm when we’ll be making signs, ensuring all the games work, and doing any last minute preparation for June 1st.
For Grades 3-8
Monday – Friday
8am – 10:30am
Work under a teacher’s direction to provide skill reinforcement
one-on-one with students in the classroom.
Please contact: Ms. Rizi, Assistant Principal
Marion-Sterling PreK – 8
Ballroom Dancing classes began on January 23 for Marion Sterling School fifth graders. Save March 28th as the date the students will strut their stuff for friends and family at 9:00 a.m. in the school cafeteria. St. Peter’s has been a prominent supporter of this program for the past three years since its inception in the Northeast Ohio region.
Dancing Classrooms is not just about teaching ballroom dancing. Dance is the tool for helping children to learn about honor and respect for themselves and others, to improve social skills, communication and cooperation, and to raise levels of self confidence. Results have shown a decrease in school drop- out rates, improvement in student behavior and grades as well as positive vibrations throughout the school community.
At the conclusion of the program, a team of six couples is chosen to represent MSS at the final Colors of the Rainbow Competition to be held May 19th at 4:00 p.m.!
We are working on some articles for this section at this time. Please check back soon for more information.
Marion Sterling School has always been a part of the St. Peter Community. This video was produced in 2009 with the idea to help the Cleveland area understand what is needed there. Please take a moment and watch this moving video about the school, and its students and teachers.
Marion Sterling School Video (opens in a new window)